Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Buying the Boat

My wife and I decided that it would be nice to have a little sailboat. We wanted to be able to go day sailing on hot summer days and go explore the San Juan Islands and some of the local lakes. I looked around and found a couple small sailboats in the area that were for sale. One of them was a Siren 17 which is a little Canadian built sailboat with a drop down keel. The other boat I found was a Newport 16 with a fixed keel. Both boats were light enough that I could pull them behind my car and both came with fairly new outboard motors. I was leaning towards the Siren but in the end we wound up getting the Newport. I haven't taken it out sailing yet but so far I think it's going to be a great little boat.
Cute little boat.

Small and cozy cabin.

Parked outside our apartment.

My car had no trouble pulling it. I think the boat and trailer together weigh 1,100 lbs.

2 comments: